Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Air Quality & Environment team of around 130 consultants, scientists and engineers develop and apply state-of-the-art tools and techniques to deliver effective solutions to difficult air quality problems. Our team includes knowledge leaders on air quality measurement, inventory development, modelling, exposure assessment, chemical modelling, public health impacts, information management and data visualisation.
Our clients benefit from the full range of air quality services that result in solutions and strategies tailored to addressing challenges at local, city and national scales. We deliver hundreds of projects every year, to public and private sector clients in the UK and overseas, including flagship programmes such as the UK’s national air quality measurement network (AURN), the National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI) and the annual national scale air quality modelling assessment on behalf of UK Government.
As a field-based Analyst Consultant, you will be responsible for ensuring that the monitoring equipment for air pollutants across the UK is providing the correct results and giving reliable measurements of air quality for our customers. This involves the on-site testing and calibration of equipment and subsequent data recording and processing, conducted to strict quality requirements
You will also be required to review and ratify air pollution measurements using our in-house software systems and strict methods prescribed by UK Law and European Directives. It would be an advantage to have an initial understanding of current air pollution problems and legislation aimed to address these issues, although comprehensive training is provided.
The work will require significant travel, including several weeks per quarter of extended trips away from the office and up to 4 overnight stays per week.
Key competencies and experience:
- The testing, calibration and documentation of air quality measuring instrumentation across the UK
- Liaison with site operators to arrange visits
- Data processing and reporting
- Ratification of data for publication on the Defra UK Air Quality website https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/ and the Air Quality in Scotland website (http://www.scottishairquality.scot/)
Skills and behaviours:
- A degree in Physical Sciences or Engineering is an advantage, but not essential; candidates who can demonstrate relevant experience will also be considered
- Full, clean UK driving licence with solid driving experience - able to drive a Company van
- Good level of physical fitness in order to be able to load and unload monitoring and testing equipment
- Awareness of site safety issues
- The ability to conduct research, gather and analyse data accurately and methodically
- IT literacy
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong communication and team working skills
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Self-reliance and good problem solving skills
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference in the world. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring and coaching opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, careers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this
message by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date