Job Title – Database Developer (Stress Test)
Location – Glasgow
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Database Developer to join the Barclays Group Stress Testing Technology which is responsible for the delivery of regulatory Stress Testing capabilities for the Bank. The right candidate would be skilled at Oracle/MySql. However, candidates need to be willing to develop using different technologies as a significant proportion of their work would be using other languages or development tools such as Unix shell scripts, Autosys, AWS, Hive, Spark and HDFS
Although this would predominately be a developer role, the right person must be able to work with the business to define requirements, writing high quality documentation and work through the entire development lifecycle.
What will you be doing?
What we’re looking for:
- Be capable of working in a fragmented, complex and changing environment and to create strong relationships with the business, technology management (and peers), and vendor representatives
- You will be involved in projects globally (offshore/onshore teams) with the work being spread across the whole development team
- Influencing stakeholders to drive optimum solution with any issues
- Ensuring that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
- Work with Group Risk Stress Testing to identify & mitigate risk
Skills that will help you in the role:
- Extensive experience in MySQL/Oracle comprehending the existing SQL queries and writing medium to complex SQL queries
- Strong experience in Unix and shell scripting
- Performance Tuning of Oracle/MySQL/Hive SQL Queries/Spark SQL Statements
- Strong knowledge and experience with Big Data ecosystems
- Experience in working with large databases - multi terabytes (3+ Terabytes)
- Experience in investment banking or the financial sector
- Experience in leading a team and individual contributor to a project
- Previous engagement with offshore/onshore working teams as you will partner with UK, US, and India build teams
Where will you be working?
Barclays Scotland is a real Scottish success story. We’ve been in Scotland for 250 years, and our significance has never been as important as it is today. Glasgow is a recognised strategic hub within Barclays globally, and admired as a shining light in Scottish business. Due to the scale of work we do here, there are countless opportunities for our colleagues to develop and progress. We’re a place where talented people can build a satisfying and diverse career, within a community of talented and passionate people.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Our purpose is creating opportunities to rise. We support sustainable and inclusive growth by connecting the ideas, innovations and aspirations of our customers and clients to the capital that can bring them to life. For over 325 years we have funded progress, and today we remain committed to helping make our world more sustainable, more inclusive and more connected.
Our values underpin everything we do:
Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. If you have a need for flexibility, then please discuss this with us.