- Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Statistics, or related quantitative field. Experience in speech technology would be beneficial.
- Experience applying statistical techniques to solve real business problems. With a particular emphasis on embedded solutions.
- Strong computer science grounding in a broad range of algorithms and data-structures.
- Proficiency in an object-orientated programming language (C++, Java, C#, C, Perl/Ruby, etc.)
- Proficiency with mathematical programming environments (R, Matlab, Numpy/Scipy, SAS, etc.)
- Programming skills sufficient to extract, transform, and clean large (multi-terrabyte) data sets in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Excellent critical thinking skills, combined with the ability to present your ideas clearly and compellingly in both verbal and written form.
Want to work on one of the coolest and most innovative pieces of technology in recent years? We built the Text to Speech technology behind the voice of Amazon Alexa, the Amazon cloud service that powers devices such as Amazon Echo, Echo Dot FireTV, and many others. We’re on a journey to build the Star Trek computer for customers. Come join us, together we will revolutionize the way people interact with devices and services! We are inventing the future.
The Alexa Text-to-Speech team has an opening for an outstanding scientist who is passionate about applying advanced ML and statistical techniques to solve real-world challenges and who has experience in working in embedded applications.
You will work in an agile and fast-paced team of scientists and software engineers at our development centre in Cambridge, England. As a scientist on the team, you can be involved in every aspect of the process - from idea generation, and scientific research, through to development and deployment of advanced models - giving you a real sense of ownership. The systems that you help to build will be deployed to customers around the world. From day one, you will be working with experienced scientists, engineers, and designers who love what they do.
We are looking for ML/speech scientists who can delight our customers by continually learning and inventing. Our ideal candidate is an experienced ML and Speech technology scientist who has a track-record of performing analysis and applying statistical techniques to solve real business problems, who has great leadership and communication skills, and who is motivated to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, and who has experience of developing embedded technologies. The position offers an exceptional opportunity to grow your technical and non-technical skills and make a real difference to the Amazon Advertising business.
- Research, design, prototype and test many possible hypotheses in a high-ambiguity environment, making use of both quantitative analysis and business judgment.
- Collaborate with software engineering teams to integrate successful experimental results into highly complex Amazon production systems.
- Report results in a manner which is both statistically rigorous and compellingly relevant, exemplifying good scientific practice in a business environment.
- Promote the culture of experimentation and applied science at Amazon.
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or related field.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer - F/M/V/D