Your new role
Here at Highways England we manage one of the world’s most advanced road networks. We care about the journeys our customers make, we want them to get home safe and well, and we want to connect our country to benefit our economy, business and our customers.
Join us as a Structures Inspector where you will work independently to plan, execute and complete cyclical and ad-hoc inspections of designated structural assets such as bridges, culverts, gantries and mast, in line with agreed inspections schedules, procedures and standards. Due to the nature of the assets you will be required to work within confined spaces or at height. You will be required to undertake inspections across the region including, but not limited to, the M5, A303 and surrounding areas.
As a flexible working organisation we are able to base this role out of either the Sowton Depot, Exeter or Chelston Outstation, Wellington. The role is a full time permanent position working 37 hours per week, due to the nature of some assets you may be required to carry out inspections at the weekend or during unsocial hours.
In line with the nature of the duties of this role the position is deemed to be a safety critical role in the organisation and so requires enhanced pre-employment checks. You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment.
What you’ll be leading on
- Complete cyclical and ad-hoc inspections of structures, and identification of defects, in line with agreed timescales, procedures and standards.
- Document asset condition and inspection findings in relevant systems, in line with agreed data capture and management standards.
- Complete reports and creation of technical drawings to support inspection findings and asset condition information management.
- Input into the development of maintenance and investment plans and prioritisation.
- Input into the development of structural inspections programme, as well as specification for work to be carried out for the monitoring, investigation and testing of structures.
- Oversee and collate data from special inspections and testing.
- Be on-call and available to attend incident sites and provide assessments and advice, as required.
- Provide initial information to asset engineers for issues requiring further inspection.
- Input into the development of inspection plans.
- Provide, as required, information to support customer and stakeholder queries, claims and correspondence.
To be successful
- Qualified to or working towards HNC/HND in Civil Engineering or Equivalent, with some appropriate experience
- Good IT knowledge with experience in the use of MS applications
- Experience in data collection and use of data capture devices
- Knowledge of CDM regulations
- Appreciation of highway asset components applicable to the work being carried out
- Applicants must be comfortable working at height and in confined spaces - IRATA Rope Access is desirable
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile please contact email@example.com quoting reference number HIG03693.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.