£60,740 - £72,933
DWP - Digital
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts
About the job
Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) supports over 20 million people and is responsible for over 730 million benefit payments each year totalling £182.5 billion. At the core of this are our legacy benefit payment applications (PSCS, ISCS, JSAPS, DLACS, SFCS, IICS, WFPS, WPCS) which support front line staff by administering and paying customers across all client groups including pensioners, carers and the disabled.
You will join our Benefits Payment Systems team in DWP Digital where we have recently undergone a transition onto a new technical platform. This transition has fundamentally changed the underpinning architecture to a modern platform and technical stack creating opportunities for exploiting new ways of working. The team ensure that the legacy applications continue to be supported, are maintained and change is delivered for the duration of their lifespan.
As part of a wider, multi-disciplinary team you will make a real difference to millions of citizens lives across the country.
As a Lead Software Engineer you will have a proven experience in the design, development and support of software applications and services that are focused on stability, availability and quality.
You are an expert in your field and will evangelise software craftsmanship practices across our Software Engineer Community.
You will lead a number of multi-functional teams using both agile and waterfall delivery as required, guiding the Software Engineers to build in quality, using industry best practices, to the products that make up our citizen services.
You will lead the building of Software Engineering capability and provide career development for our existing Software Engineer Community and mentor and ensure necessary support is in place for junior engineers and apprentices.
You will have experience delivering enterprise solutions across legacy applications.
Please see the Job Description for the responsibilities:
- Champion technical evolution within the organisation, find, test, agree and adopt emerging technologies.
- Champion the latest Software Engineer best practices, principles and processes.
- Manage and mitigate risks through effective planning.
- Design and lead the strategies for building reusable libraries and services.
- Prevent and diagnose infrastructure issues. Ensuring all requests for support are dealt with according to set standards and procedures.
- Provide 3rd line support on products developed, including out of hours support as and when required.
- Work with large teams of Software Engineers and key technical decision makers to define the strategic vision for our products.
- Lead the Software Engineering community to deliver the strategic vision.
- Develop our Software Engineering capability by rewarding high performers, shaping careers paths and recruiting talent to the organisation.
- Work with the Principal Software Engineering community to ensure usability, accessibility, security, stability and capacity are embedded in the development of our citizen services.
- Identify skills gaps and key dependencies within our product teams.
The ideal candidate for this role will be able to demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Extensive development experience, in CoBoL & MicroFocus CoBoLl, developing on cloud based environments. With an ability to quickly make, take and influence sound technical decisions. Understand the pros and cons of different technologies.
- An understanding of the application of the most appropriate modern standards and practices. Take responsibility for coaching and guiding others.
- An understanding of Agile and waterfall delivery approaches, software craftsmanship best practices. Working collaboratively with a technical architect to define the technical approach for the product being developed.
- Experience of software development process optimisation. Establishing standards of systems integration and testing. Can also lead Software Engineers in test-driven development alongside the use of automated test frameworks. Managing delivery and release processes in a Continuous Delivery environment. Knowing what a good CI and CD process looks like and how to implement for the product.
- Experience of leading and continuously improving multiple Software Engineer teams in a complex, multi-disciplinary environment, delivering products within specific time-scales and working alongside multiple senior Stakeholders. Leading the translation of requirements and guide teams in the right direction. Demonstrating strong application design capabilities.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Managing a Quality Service
Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Programming and Build
- Learning and development tailored to your role.
- An environment with flexible working options.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
- An employer pension contribution of up to 27%.
- A generous annual leave allowance.
Our offer to successful candidates will be based on an assessment of your skills and experience as demonstrated at interview.
Existing Civil Servants who secure a new role on lateral transfer should maintain their current salary.
Existing Civil Servants who gain promotion may move to the bottom of the next grade pay scale or 10% increase in salary whichever would be the greater. Only in very few circumstances (where there have been exceptional skills demonstrated which are in limited supply for example) may existing Civil Servants be able to negotiate their starting salary if the role has been advertised externally, prior to accepting the post.
This role can be based out of either our Blackpool or Newcastle upon Tyne corporate hub locations.
The Department is committed to promoting flexible ways of working, whilst enabling the business to operate at maximum efficiency and will expect colleagues to work from a blend of locations, including some time working at home, as required. The corporate hub location will be the designated place of work and any remote or home working arrangement does not constitute a change to your designated place of work or contractual Terms and Conditions.