Location: Cardiff, GB
We’re the UK's largest ports operator with a network of 21 ports around Britain. We handle around one quarter of the UK's seaborne trade and contribute £7.5 billion to our economy every year.
It’s a story we’re proud of but it doesn’t end there. We’re transforming our business and embracing the future.
We offer a vast range of roles spanning the UK, all rooted in a culture that welcomes diversity, fosters talent, encourages internal movement and progression, and places safety as our number one priority.
Here at Associated British Ports (ABP) we are currently recruiting for a Mechanical Fitter to join the Engineering team at our port in Cardiff with an immediate start available. Reporting to the Engineering Supervisor, the Mechanical Fitter will complete maintenance and breakdown activities for machines and plant. The Mechanical Fitter will also rectify mechanical faults and inspect plant/equipment to confirm reliability and condition.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who has previous experience of working in a similar maintenance/engineering position ideally from a heavy industry background. The successful applicant must hold a relevant engineering qualification with a mechanical bias.
- Carryout maintenance works in a diligent and timely manner in order to meet the requirements of port operations, both individually and as part of a larger team (including third party contractors as required).
- Ensure compliance with Health Safety and Environmental requirements and other legislation including contributing to the development and review of Risk Assessments and Safe Systems of Work.
- Carryout maintenance works in a diligent and timely manner in order to meet the requirements of port operations, both individually and as part of a larger team (including third party contractors as required). All in accordance with ABP’s Safety procedures, risk assessments, and Safe Systems of Work
- To communicate as required during servicing operations and the repair of plant, equipment and vessels.
- Provide support and guidance to the Semi-Skilled Engineers and Apprentices in undertaking the works in a safe, cost effective and timely manner.
- Operate ABP’s vehicles, plant and equipment subject to any necessary training having been provided.
- Undertake all works commensurate with both your trade and other disciplines subject to either appropriate training or ability to carry out the works.
Skills, experiences, qualifications and competencies
- Time-served tradesman and holder of an engineering qualification (City & Guilds/ONC/HNC or equivalent) and experience associated with mechanical engineering.
- Mechanical experience in an industrial engineering environment working with heavy plant, cranes or conveyor systems.
- Excellent communication / interpersonal skills demonstrating the ability to communicate to both internal and external customers and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to demonstrate a fundamental understanding of Health and Safety principles including Risk Assessment and Hazard Perception.
- Sound IT skills demonstrating an understanding and use of a range of Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
- A sound knowledge of Health & Safety legislation.
- Pro-active approach.
- Full UK Driving Licence.
- Experience of operating plant and equipment.
- Ability to follow work instructions, but also react positively to 'off- plan' situations.
- Ability to approach 'Fault Finding' in a methodical manner with a view to safely re-instating plant and equipment in a timely manner.
- Ability to set priorities and co-ordinate a range of activities plus a committed pro-active approach.
- Familiarity with the operations and equipment on the Port Estate would be a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of Port Operations.
The role comes with a salary of £30k working days only Monday - Friday plus 26 days leave (plus bank holidays), discretionary annual bonus, excellent pension scheme, private healthcare, employee wellness scheme and range of discounts.
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero-tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.
Job Type: Apprenticeship
Work Location: Multiple Locations