QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
The job holder will work in the Weapons Science group which is part of Applied Science. Within Weapons Science, our teams come from a variety of engineering, science and related backgrounds. They are critical to providing advice and assessment of military systems from long range missiles to armoured vehicles. They help our customers ensure that these critical assets perform effectively and enable our Armed Services to fulfil their roles safely.
This is a key role and the job holder will contribute to programmes which help our customers ensure that critical assets perform effectively and safely. This particular role involves conducting qualification, evaluation and technical and safety assessment of weapon systems and installations.
Knowledge, skills and Personal Qualities Required
1. Broad knowledge and experience of military weapon systems and their installations, particularly in the Land domain.
2. Knowledge of Def Stan 07-085, AAS3P-20 and related standards, including generation and assessment of evidence to fulfil their requirements
3. Demonstrate good interpersonal, analytical and team working skills.
4. Exhibit good listening and questioning skills to fully understand customers’ requirements and problems.
5. Personal resilience to handle competing demands and setbacks, proactively anticipates possible problems and using own judgement and initiative derives a range of possible solutions to reach a cost effective outcome.
6. A strong ethos on the importance of safety, operational efficiency and project delivery.
7. Ability to quickly understand the broad and diverse technical domains that their team supports and the implications to the development and sustainment of capability
Challenges with the role include:
1. Leading and contributing to technical programmes in this area.
2. Working with programme and project managers to deliver projects to forecast performance by proactively managing risk.
3. Promoting innovation, inventiveness and excellence within QinetiQ
4. Networking both internally and externally to maintain awareness of relevant activities and to identify opportunities for the Division
1. Provide technical direction, leadership and individual contribution to technical teams to ensure that programmes are delivered effectively and meet customer requirements and expectations
2. Provide liaison with colleagues, customers and other stakeholders to ensure delivery and growth of the business
3. Ensure the application of an appropriate level of Technical Assurance for opportunities and projects; as part of the project cycle ensure that customers’ requirements and tasks are fully understood and that problems, issues and risks are reliably identified at the outset
1. A suitably-recognised engineering qualification at a degree level or an equivalent, nationally recognised, professional qualification, with typically more than 5 years of further on the job experience.
2. Experience of small, medium and/or large calibre weapon and weapon installation design and assessment
3. Experience of the specification, generation and review of OME S3 evidence
4. Holders would be expected to have attained full professional membership of a relevant body