AIRBUS Defence and Space Limited
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2019 it generated revenues of € 70.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world’s leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Please apply for this vacancy online at our careers site (www.jobs.airbus.com) with your CV attached.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus Group using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus Group.
Description of the job :
A vacancy for a Payload Systems Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join our Earth Observation, Science and Navigation business line (ENS).
This vacancy is an excellent opportunity for a talented high speed digital design engineer to join a skilled systems engineering team and to play a key role in the development of the next generation of Digital Signal Processing products for radar and microwave payload instruments.
The successful candidate will be working in the systems engineering department, primarily within a small team utilising the latest development tools and exploiting advanced FPGA products to meet the needs of future instrument systems.
The successful applicant will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Task & accountabilities :Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Provide expert digital systems engineering skills within the overall payload systems context, and carry-out detailed high speed digital designs as part of product development, including schematic and PCB design.
- Interpret customer requirements and define system/subsystems architectures for spacecraft instrumentation.
- Perform functional analysis and decomposition of performance requirements, management of requirements traceability and verification control. Ensure adequate margins to guarantee performance over life and all operational environments.
- Perform analyses and maintain budgets to confirm compliance to requirements taking into account environmental factors and appropriate design and system margins.
- Contribute to model philosophy and Assembly, Integration & Verification planning at all levels.
- Coordinate and work with other engineering disciplines to develop robust technical solutions for the space environment and to maintain up-to-date requirement specifications on contractors or suppliers. Take into account all aspects including reliability, failure effects, reusability, schedule, quality, cost, risk, safety and performance.
- Work closely with mechanical design office, manufacturing department and parts procurement to coordinate production of detailed design drawings, PCB’s, bills of materials and ensure any issues in manufacturing and test are dealt with effectively.
- Work with subcontractors and suppliers to establish realistic requirements at system level and critically review their designs and analyses, negotiating technical issues to achieve overall satisfactory performance from the system.
- Contribute to R&D planning, product development and technical coordination with other business units. Participate in advanced state of the art systems studies with particular emphasis on innovative ideas and concepts.
- Maintain knowledge of technical developments and review their application within the ENS business division and make appropriate recommendations.
- Provide technical guidance to subordinate/inexperienced engineers, and participate in on-the-job training.
- Manage engineering work packages including work placed on contractors or suppliers, management of engineering teams to ensure timely completion of tasks within cost and schedule. Work closely with the project manager to stay in control of the schedule, cost and any technical, production or resourcing issues.
- Technical management of national / international subcontractors to validate their designs and ensure specified requirements are achieved. Interfacing with customers and suppliers and presenting technical information.
- Maintain a good working relationship with customers/subcontractors in particular liaison on engineering aspects while not giving too much information to actual/potential competitors. Liaise closely with internal suppliers to ensure adequate prioritisation, staffing and resolution of any technical / production issues.
- Travel to UK and overseas customers and subcontractors for technical reviews and progress meetings.
- Analyse system, subsystem, and equipment test results and provide dispositions on non-compliances and requests for waiver / deviation.
- Contribute to risk assessment and effective management contribute ideas to improve schedule and/or reduce cost.
- Develop and implement verification strategies and test specifications, plans and procedures to ensure adequate verification and validation of functional performance. Participate in testing and test results analysis.
- Prepare test reports and other documentation, and participate in formal reviews to ensure successful equipment delivery on time, on cost and on quality (OTOCOQ).
- Prepare and present oral and written information in clear and concise form for project and internal reviews, and for customer progress meetings.
This role will involve regular travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
Required skills :
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
- Degree level in Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Proven track record in successful High speed digital design, Mentor graphics, Signal & Power Integrity analysis, Xilinx FPGA firmware development
- Able to work in a systems engineering environment alongside other engineering disciplines to develop payload systems and future products for advanced digital signal processing.
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit share an ever growing list of company benefits and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the Recruitment Business Partner who contacts you.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
By submitting your CV or application you are consenting to Airbus using and storing information about you for monitoring purposes relating to your application or future employment. This information will only be used by Airbus.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.