Software Developer – Engineer
As a Barclays Software Developer – Engineer, within our team you’ll be working to fully achieve decommissioning of these legacy platforms, the underlying functions and the supporting technology that have to be replaced utilizing the target state architecture vision. As we get closer to opening our new city centre campus, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career as we build the size of our team in Glasgow.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
What will you be doing?
What we’re looking for:
- Being responsible for developing and enhancing the C#, and Java server-side components
- Being an experienced C# and Java developer, you will lead the analysis, design and implementation of a highly distributed application
- Working with leadership and fellow team members (both offshore and onshore) delivering to meet specifications and timelines
- Designing, developing and improving fundamental technical features such as messaging, release engineering, caching, failover and alerting, using Java and related technologies
- Designing and implementing server-side business functions in C#, and Java, as well as ensuring consistent high code quality through unit and integration testing
- Working closely with QA, UAT and application support teams in getting the code tested, released and supported
- Troubleshooting performance and functional problems on development, testing and production environments
Skills that will help you in the role:
- Significant experience in a strongly-typed object-oriented programming language (C#, Java) including experience managing and developing low-latency applications in Java/C#
- Experience contributing to the applications architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience working in C#/Core Java, MVC, WPF, Rest API, Spring, JPA, JMS, HTML5, CSS, Angular/React
- Understanding of messaging/middleware technologies (Solace, MQ)
- Experience in building highly reliable, high-performance, scalable, distributed systems, and service oriented architectures
- Experience of best practices of full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing & operations
- Familiarity with cloud technologies: OpenShift, AWS including excellent skills in SQL, and NoSQL databases, querying, profiling and performance tuning
- Knowledge of DevOps practices, tooling and automation: Chef, Jenkins as well as advanced knowledge of Linux/Unix, Shell Scripting, and Autosys
Where will you be working?
We’ve been in Scotland for 250 years, and our significance has never been as important as it is today. You can find Aurora nestled in a fantastic central city location, a short walk from both Central and Charing Cross train stations, and not far from Sauchiehall Street and Argyll Street, two of the city’s main shopping hubs. We’re committed to giving everyone the opportunity to thrive at Barclays, investing in our people, communities, and facilities – highlighted by our new state-of-the-art campus opening soon in the city centre.