QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
*** Please note that we have a number of vacancies available at varying levels depending on skills and experience at either Portsmouth or Farnborough****
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific, technical and engineering minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
As part of the Long Term Partnering Arrangement (LTPA) QinetiQ has with MOD, a number of facilities and systems are maintained around the country to support the test and evaluation of military assets. We currently require talented engineers at various levels of experience to take key roles in projects investing in the maintenance and enhancement of these capabilities.
Working in diverse teams, you will be involved in projects supporting Maritime test and evaluation, operating from the early concept phase through to transition into service. These can involve multiple engineering and scientific disciplines, which can be both QinetiQ staff and third party suppliers.
As a Lead Systems Engineer you will typically take on significant responsibility within development projects, often leading areas or the development of sub-systems. The role requires a broad application of systems engineering knowledge, from the establishing of user needs through to final delivery. Typically you will work across a number of these areas and develop strong whole lifecycle experience.
Specific Domain Knowledge:
Dependent on the role, knowledge of, and experience in one or more of the following areas is beneficial:
- Radar systems – hardware and software elements
- Radio frequency transmission systems
- Sonar systems and underwater acoustics
- Electromagnetic measurement systems
- Underwater and/or littoral environments.
Scope and Impact:
- Day-to-day leadership and management of engineering and technical teams to deliver integrated engineering outputs to contracted time, cost and quality that meet the customer’s requirements
- Collaboration with Resource Management as required to assign relevant technical work tasks to suitably qualified and experienced personnel
- Ensuring a consistent approach to the integration of engineering outputs across all platform tasks
- Ensuring consistency of technical processes, methods and tools for the delivery stream ensuring a coherent integration of engineering activity to meet customer requirements
- Effective capture and analysis of customer requirements
- Coordination of bids and estimates, generation of technical/solution strategies (e.g. Evaluation & Test Strategy), Technical Delivery Plans and work breakdown structures to support project cost plans and bids
- Production of appropriate Technical Assurance plans and ensuring adherence throughout the project lifecycle
- Identification of project technical risks and assisting the Project Manager with the management of them
- Compliance with business processes and ensuring engineering governance is robust and sound.
Key Decision making areas of the Position:
- Mentoring of other Systems Engineering staff and activities as required
- Promoting consistent use of all systems engineering processes, methods and tools
- Supporting development and retention of a ‘world class’ capability to provide customers with independent technical advice
- Delivery of integrated engineering output that meets business objectives.
- Selection of technical solutions
- Leadership and management of technical projects
- Coordination of the integrated technical output from the delivery team, including compliance with regulation.
Essential education, qualifications and training:
Essential knowledge, skills and experience required:
- Recognised engineering qualification to at least HNC or Degree standard
- Evidence of further learning and relevant training
Essential personal qualities and behavioural requirements:
- A good working knowledge of general Systems Engineering principles
- Excellent people management and communication skills
- Technical experience leading multidisciplinary teams in diverse delivery projects across the full engineering lifecycle
- Ability to generate technical solutions
- Ability to make sound judgements on integrated solutions
- Sound knowledge of technical governance.
- Recognised as a leader
- Good team player with good customer facing presence
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Able to stand behind judgement.
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below: -
- Career development across a diverse International organisation
- 50% off meals at selected restaurants , 40% off cinema tickets.
- Modern and collaborative working environment
- Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contributed
- Flexible Working , Social and family events
- Health Cash Plan , Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
- Leading edge technology focus
- Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
- Childcare or After School Club , Annual Leave Purchase
- Personal Accident Insurance , Annual Travel Insurance
- Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
- Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community