Purpose of the job
To work closely with manufacturing and engineering disciplines to ensure all intelligent and non-intelligent Switchgear Products and Motor Control Centres are functionally correct and manufactured to the correct standards. This will be achieved thorough in house inspection and testing.
Lead Test Engineer
For whom responsible
No regular reports, but will be responsible for customers during Factory Acceptance Testing and all other disciplines while in the Test Technicians physical area of responsibility.
- The safe and timely execution of testing activities.
- Accountable for the Health & Safety of all personnel within the Test Technicians test area.
- Ensure that the companies Quality, Health Safety & Environmental policies and procedures are constantly adhered with.
- Ensure all required test documentation is completed correctly and on time
- Ensure all switchgear is tested in accordance with current standards ( IEC etc ), current Powell Quality specifications and Customer requirements.
- Present a professional and organised persona in front of external customers.
- Perform professional and timely FAT (Factory Acceptance Tests) ensuring that both the customer and Powell (UK) requirements are met.
- Work in a competent and Professional manner in ensuring that product is tested correctly, any issues are identified, reported ,corrected and checked in line with Powell UK Quality policies
- Support the Assembly function by being prepared to learn new skills and work on the assembly line when and if required.
The manufacturing function is split into a number of functional areas 3 of which have attached test resource. Effective and regular communication between department members is crucial. In addition the post holder when required must engage in regular communication with:
- After Sales Services
- Engineering – LV/MV/Systems Application Engineering
- Quality, Health & Safety and Environment.
- Contract Management
- Line Supervision
- The ability to effectively communicate using both verbal and written communication that delivers high levels of confidence in those dealt with.
- A good technical background with specific bias towards the testing and inspection of Switchgear & Motor Control Centres and associated equipment.
- The ability to meet the expectation of both internal and external customer, clients and suppliers through a sound understanding of their needs and requirements, being responsive to them.
- The ability to think through and adopt a clear, sensible approach to planning, prioritising and organising tasks and activities to meet deadlines and targets. Makes most efficient use of time and other resources.
- The ability to pragmatically solve problems using varied approaches and considering all relevant factors and options before making a decision/taking action.
- The ability to encourage team working within own function and the broader business.
- The ability to demonstrate energy, drive, commitment and dedication to achieving both own and company success.
- Proactive in approach, resilient under pressure, ability to maintain clarity and vision, and possesses a strong results orientation.
- Honesty & Integrity.
- Sincere and genuine.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Team worker.
- Dedicated and conscientious approach to quality.
- Customer Focused.
- Planning and Organising.
- Problem solving and Decision making.
- Change Orientation/ Continuous Improvement.
Employment & Education Background
- The ideal candidate shall have good experience of testing/manufacturing Switchgear preferably supplied to an Oil & Gas/Petrochem market.
- Educated to a minimum of ONC in Electrical engineering or equivalent.
- Previous experience of testing of Switchgear and Associated Product communication systems an advantage.
From strategic locations across the world, Powell is focused to deliver superior value to its customers through a full range of differentiated IEC and ANSI products and services. This offering is designed to satisfy the discerning requirements of the global market, across all industry sectors. Powell’s equipment is used to safely and successfully power the operations of a diverse customer base:
- Oil and Gas
- Power Generation and Distribution
- Pulp and Paper
- Food and Beverage
- Mining and Metals
- Electric Utilities
- Traction Power
The Powell culture has and will always be founded through our "can do" attitude. If we can imagine it, we can do it by transforming our visions into reality. Powell’s goal is to be the company our customers can call when it absolutely has to be done right and on time. Our custom engineered-to-order solutions are second to none in providing the value you need and expect.
The electrical power industry is amongst the most safety-conscious groups in the world. Powell's core philosophy, to be Powered by Safety®, ensures our products are designed to reinforce this position by bringing safety-related features to our customers. Powell knows and understands the concern of engineers, operators, maintenance technicians, employees, and suppliers. Compared to our peers, we deliver the most value by developing products and systems that function at the highest degree of safety while providing the ultimate in skilled operation and design.
An Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disability
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use the careers site as a result of your disability.
To request an accommodation, send an email to mailto:
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 713-378-2685 and let us know the nature of your request and provide your contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this email and/or phone number. Only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number.