VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 48 CES VA20 RPA 859923
OPENING DATE: 03 July 2020 CLOSING DATE: 17 July 2020
POSITION TITLE: MECHANICAL ENGINEER PAY: £18.58 per hour
PAY PLAN: S-0830-12 CATEGORY Full time 37.50
LOCATION/ACTIVITY: RAF Lakenheath
BENEFITS: Benefits include paid annual and sick leave and opportunity to join Group Stakeholder Pension
Scheme. For additional information contact the LNDH team on 01638 544955
You will work as a professional mechanical engineer performing operations and maintenance (O&M) engineering duties assigned to the Heating,
Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVAC) shop. These duties will include being responsible for the life cycle engineering of
HVAC systems on the installation to include inspections, surveys, assessments, and analysis to identify and project deficiencies to counteract wear
from use and age and ensure code compliance. Utilizes mechanical engineering techniques and processes to translate project or program
requirements into engineering solutions. You will have full supervisory personnel management responsibilities over other staff to include
developing performance standards, selecting employees for vacancies, promotions, etc. as well as providing regular feedback and appraising them.
You will use cost estimating tools to produce government estimates, program projects, and compete for funding in Air Force corporate processes as
well as performing planning and design work for substantial sustainment, modernization, repair, improvement, renovations and construction
projects for HVAC systems, utilizing a professional knowledge of mechanical engineering.
Please provide detailed work experience as it relates to the required competencies listed below, as this will be used to determine your
qualification for this position.
1. Education and Training: The incumbent must hold a Bachelor of Engineering degree or a combination of education and experience
with equivalent qualifications in the appropriate discipline, together with a minimum of three years’ work experience in the trade (one
year with degree) ***Copies must be submitted with application form in order to validate requirement***
2. Professional knowledge of mechanical engineering
3. Familiarity with architectural and other engineering disciplines.
4. Knowledge of all aspects of construction to determine compliance with applicable laws, codes and regulations.
5. Knowledge of contracting practices and procedures as it relates to engineering.
6. Knowledge of health, safety and environmental requirements.
7. Knowledge of various automated data processing systems and programs used in various functions within engineering.
8. Knowledge of various design techniques and skill in preparing various project documentation and drafting sufficient to convey design
concepts and ideas and formulate working drawings.
9. Ability to plan, conduct and record site/facilities surveys and inspection; to analyze, interpret, and apply results, rules, regulations, and
procedures in a variety of situations and recommend timely and economical solutions.
10. Ability to plan and organize work and coordinate with other engineering disciplines and architects; and communicate effectively both
orally and in writing and maintain good working relationships.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS:
1. Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military and commercial aircraft.
2. The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. Minimum category ‘B’ driver’s license will be required for this position.
3. May be assigned other duties that are appropriate to the grade and series of this position.
4. The employee must meet the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) requirements applicable to the duties of the
position. The selectee will have up to 24 months to meet the applicable mandatory experience, education, and training requirements.
5. Must be able to satisfactorily obtain/maintain an appropriate UK Security Clearance.
6. Please note that this position may be coded as mission essential.
Security clearance Immunizations Pre-employment
FOOD HANDLERS Defence Barring Service
(DBS ) certificate
HOURS OF DUTY:
Monday – Friday 0730-1600 hours
WHO CAN APPLY:
Citizens of the U.K., Nationals of European Community (EC) Countries, and Commonwealth Citizens, other Foreign Nationals, and Stateless
persons provided no restrictions have been imposed as a condition of continued residency in the UK.
Applicants will need to submit necessary documents with the application form to demonstrate that they are eligible to work in the
This position may have certain restrictions to US citizens due to the SOFA agreement. For additional information contact the LNDH
team on 01638 544955
How to apply:
Interested candidates must complete an application form obtainable from the Civilian Personnel Webpage: www.mildenhall.af.mil/info/civilian-
personnel. All applications, with relevant attachments and/or CV/Resume must be submitted via email: 100FSS.FSMC6@US.AF.MIL before the
closing date of this vacancy.
Applicants who have a minimum of five years consecutive residency in the UK are considered for this position; however, those
who do not meet this criteria will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Proof of identification in the form of a photo ID will be required, for example a Driving license or current passport. All successful applicants will
require a security clearance. Please note Pre-appointment Security Clearance requirements may delay start date.
There will be no discrimination in employment practices based on gender, age, marital status, disability,
race, nationality, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation, being or not being a member of a trade union.