Job Role: GIS Designer -Telecoms Division
Company: Charles Brand
Job Type: Full-time - Permanent
Location: UK and Ireland
The GIS Designer role will be to create the Charles Brand Telecoms Division Design team to support the Network Build team and will be responsible for co-ordinating the design elements and interfaces of specific task or project dependent on size and complexity. They will fully understand and manage the design requirements of the tender/project to support the Network Build ensuring that the design is delivered in line with the programme requirements and is of a quality that reflects the budget constraints. The GIS Designer will report to the Operations Manager and lead a medium sized fibre design and GIS team in all fibre design activities and provide technical expertise and support to the Network Build team on all aspects of fibre design.
The following reflect the main tasks associated with your position and are not intended to be exclusive or exhaustive:
- Manage the team to produce active network plans covering residential and business services, working to service and business forecasts and to our clients agreed technical architecture. In this the candidate will be expected to choose and implement suitable planning tools ensuring all of the following:
- Initial fundamental design of fibre Passive Optical Networks using multiple systems and design tools.
- End to end planning & design of FTTH networks
- Utilisation of current Fibre network design software
- Understanding of fibre network architectures and network topology
- Creation of and High-Level, Low-level and Ready for Construction designs
- Surveying and validation of planned fibre routes
- Completion of Bill of Materials/Bill of Quantities
- Completion of Design Risk Assessments
- Completion of construction packs
- Ensure design meets the clients architectural and technical requirements and standards
- Planning and implementation of POPs to house the active equipment.
- Manage all aspects of the design on the project
- Design risk register and risk assessments
- Outline design deliverables and design programmes
- Manage work packages, scoping and deliverable identification
- Manage all Specialist design by subcontractors and suppliers and its integration into the overall design of the project
- Manage design Approval and sign off processes, checking and consent arrangements
- Manage design change process - identification, reporting and control
- Manage design control and monitoring system including document control and deliverables
- Co-ordinate Design Workshop meetings with Project Design Team and Specialist Supply Chain.
- Manage Sample Tracker & Quality Sign-off Checks.
- Liaison with Commercial Department to review Design fees and budgets.
- Review Design Packages to ensure compliance with Local Authorities.
What you'll bring
As a GIS Designer your main skills and experience will include:
- HNC (or equivalent) in a Construction/Telecoms Design /IT or related discipline
- A Minimum of 5-10 Years experience of Design Management in telecommunications industry
- Experience working with Fibre planning tools and software (FibrePlanIT etc)
- Strong design experience and usage of design, survey and inventory applications (ArcGIS, QGIS, AutoCAD, Smallworld, Gcomms, Network Engineer etc)
- Knowledge of PIA product and experience of planning using PIA will be an advantage
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Commercial Awareness
- Ability to lead and provide a professional, comprehensive and sustainable design management service to the project
- Experience working in Design aspects on building projects
- The candidate will have career experience in delivering construction projects or working in a design environment.
- Experience on both single stage tenders and preferred terms work procurement routes is desirable
- Good attention to detail with the ability to work to challenging deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team on site in some cases or be self-motivated and work in isolation of other team members in other cases
- Numerical and analytical skills with the ability to interpret data and produce it in a clear and logical format
- Organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workload and meet tight deadlines
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to take a confident but diplomatic approach with colleagues and other internal and external customers
- Good time management skills; able to manage activities simultaneously within compromising on standards and quality
- Ability to work with colleagues to contribute to project and operational performance
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer an attractive salary plus we’ll provide a wide selection of lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Our Core Benefits include:
- Employer Pension Contribution
- Membership of relevant Institutions & Professional Bodies
- Life Assurance
- Health Cash Plans
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Gym Membersh
- Car Allowance & Fuel Card
Reference ID: CB/GIS/0721
Application deadline: 31/07/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Bike to work scheme
- Company pension
- Life insurance
- Sick pay
- Wellness programmes