Do you have experience in a fast-paced manufacturing department? Have 4 years or above Engineering experience? Hold an Advanced Apprenticeship in engineering? We are looking to recruit a Maintenance Engineer to join our team based at our Feed Mill in Banbury.
We are a leading supplier of Poultry products into an impressive range of customers in the UK retail and food service sectors. With ambitious plans for the future, there hasn’t been a more exciting time to join us.
Join us as a Maintenance Engineer and you can be a part of the aspiring team that brings Avara Foods to life.
Purpose of the role
As a Maintenance Engineer operating from a well-established animal feed mill, you will optimise machinery output and product quality, and minimise plant downtime through effective preventative maintenance and efficient breakdown response whilst maintaining a safe and healthy environment and promoting good engineering practices.
A fast-paced, dynamic Feed manufacturing environment which is noisy and dusty in some areas, manufacturing animal feeds where hygiene standards are critical. The role is predominantly factory based.
Your key responsibilities will include:
What we are looking for:
- Assist in building an up-to-date PPM system and ensuring planned maintenance is carried out professionally and promptly.
- Ensure the Engineering maintenance carried out in line with the current schedule and effective and efficient corrective action is taken.
- Quick and effective response to breakdowns, where possible identifying root cause and suggesting possible improvements to prevent further breakdowns occurring.
- Communicate unscheduled breakdowns to the Shift Supervisor / Mill Manager and work with the operations department to minimise plant disruption.
- Reporting and tracking lost time, cause of breakdowns, record parts used/required
- Follow good engineering standards and good hygiene practice for the department.
- Ensure all activities are carried out within company and legislative health and safety and environmental guidelines reporting any issues
- Assist in PUWER, LOLER, Risk Assessments and fall out work associated.
- Ensure compliance through regular process weigher and Liquid meter calibrations (weights and measures Act)
- Proficient in engineering operations whilst working in hazardous environments (Confined Space Entry, Hot working in confined spaces, WAH)
- Proficient in site services work procedures.
- Participate in Mechanical projects and installations – Elevators, conveyors, machine installs, machine refurbishment.
- Participate in Electrical projects and installations – Panel manufacture and installation, PLC upgrades, PAT testing, thermographic surveying.
- Efficient operations of effluent plant systems ensuring environmental compliance.
- Understand the operations of fire suppression systems – Fire Trace, Sprinkler system, Hydrant system.
- Follow the communicated escalation route for unscheduled plant downtime and minimise downtime by following a good engineering practice.
- Demonstrate understanding of environmental impacts – DSEAR, Dust controls and Explosion mitigation.
- Raise spares stock and non-stock request forms/emails.
- It is essential that you are qualified in a relevant engineering trade with 4 + years of engineering experience and an Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering
- You will have a full understanding of mechanical processes and assemblies including Electrical or welding/fabrication experience
- Self-motivated attitude with the ability to multi-task and thrive in a timeline-driven environment
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Flexibility with a positive attitude and the ability to work well within a team
- Basic computer skills for typing handovers, ordering spares etc. (Microsoft Excel, Word, emails)
- Food manufacture experience desirable
- IEE 17th or 18th Edition desirable
- PLC experience desirable
- Air and pneumatics trained desirable
- Boiler Operator Accreditation Scheme (BOAS) certification desirable
You will be required to work days/nights on a 12 hour rotating shift pattern
A little about us:
We are a leading supplier of chicken, turkey and duck products into an impressive range of customers in the UK retail and food service sectors. We are a fully integrated business controlling the whole product supply chain, which include feed mills, farms, hatcheries and factories with associated transport and logistics functions that employ more than 6000 people.
The growth of our business is based on providing a high quality, affordable product and delivering great service levels to our customers. This is achieved by investing in people, utilising the latest technology and being uncompromising in our commitment to high quality and food standards.
What’s in it for you?
We are committed to making sure our employees reap rewards of commitment and great performance. You will enjoy a secure, supportive and progressive working environment, where your contribution and achievements will be recognised and rewarded.
We offer comprehensive training as well as development and career progression opportunities. As a Maintenance Engineer, you can also look forward to benefits that among other things include the following:
- 31 days annual leave pro rata
- Various lifestyle benefits
- Life assurance cover
- 3% pension contribution
We are an equal opportunities employer