£30,817 - £33,899
Higher Executive Officer
HO - Digital Data & Technology
Type of role
Architecture and Data
Flexible working, Full-time, Compressed Hours
Number of posts
About the job
It’s an exciting time in Home Office Digital Data and Technology! We have a number of initiatives which are laying the basis for our future operating model, reshaping how we deliver and handle our delivery.
You could be crafting solutions to help people prove their identity or apply for visas or working on the critical IT systems that support policing and counter terrorism helping to protect UK borders. Our success depends on our ability to exploit the newest technologies to build leading-edge, world-class solutions whilst ensuring they are secure and resilient.
Our work is guided by these fundamental principles:
- put user needs first
- delivery and outcomes over process
- make the most of open standards, open source and open data
It’s important that we build a diverse workforce that reflects the society we serve and provide an inclusive environment for all. We value everyone's skills and provide a creative and stimulating workplace to encourage you to do your best work and develop your career.
Do you want to be involved in the technical design and implementation of services and process automations using the latest tools, working in collaboration with other subject areas to deliver this work?
If the answer is yes then please read on!
We have results-oriented targets to reduce reliance on manual business processes and transition to digital delivery of many of our services. As an Associate Developer working in a small agile team you'll be key to the Home Office delivering on this vision. We have Business Analysts to support your team in defining the existing, and to be processes, and we have Test Engineers to ensure defects are caught early in our automations, and User Researchers and Ethics advisors to ensure we’re considering people in all that we do.
You will be a crucial part of the new and rapidly expanding Automation Teams. We use Microsoft and other tools and platforms to maintain and continually improve several current services and will take responsibility for others as the team grows, as well as embarking on a programme of new projects as operational teams are made aware of the possibilities of Robotic Process Automation and other technologies we can provide.
Pairing with and guided by other specialists to learn on the job whilst crafting and improving software components, you will learn to work to our technical standards writing clean and secure code.
You can expect to benefit from training, coaching and mentoring to help you develop in this role.
What we offer
We know that phenomenal software requires great coding practices. Here are some key practices which we insist upon that allow us to release with speed and quality:
- agile principles
- test-driven development with a focus on automation
- continuous integration and continuous delivery
- review code via pull requests
- pairing smartly
- infrastructure as code
You’ll thrive using agile methods and enjoy working openly, collaboratively and as part of a multidisciplinary team passionate about one or more projects.
Day to day you’ll
- complete basic automation, API and general development and test tasks
- propose automations and changes that fit within the overall models and patterns set by more senior developers
- support the definition and delivery of new services, automations and APIs
- identify and resolve issues with our services, using established methods
- learn more sophisticated software and automation development and delivery skills to advance and excel as an engineer
We’re looking for a person who is curious and when confronted with a difficult or strange problem acts like a detective to crack the mystery. An excellent teammate, you'll take ownership of the products, features and services your team looks after. Above all you’ll want to support our mission to transform the critical systems we look after.
Joining an expanding software engineering community you will be passionate about growing your own career within that community with a desire to research, learn and apply new programming tools and techniques, you’ll have some experience with:
- RESTful APIs and web technologies
- agile software development principles
- analysing issues to identify trends or root causes and their resolution
- testing software and reporting on results
Whilst this is not a deal breaker, given the focus of this team it would be a bonus if you also have the following skills or some experience of:
- using Microsoft Power Automate or UiPath
- using and configuring Dynamics 365
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Data Management (DATM) Level 4
Software Design (SWDN) Level 3
Programming/Software Development (PROG) Level 3
Systems Integration and Built (SINT) Level 3
Testing (TEST) Level 3
Application Support (ASUP) Level 4
You will also have access to benefits such as:
- one of the higher starting salaries across the Civil Service
- a Civil Service pension with employer contribution rates of between 26.6% and 30.3%, depending upon salary
- 25 days annual leave on appointment, plus 8 days public holidays and 1 day for the Queen’s Birthday, rising further with service
- flexible working options to enable you to achieve the work life balance that right for you including part-time, flexi time and job sharing
- training and development opportunities tailored to your role
- an in-year bonus scheme
- a culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- season ticket loans and rental deposit loans
- cycle to work and payroll giving
- employee discounts - including a huge number of retailers (via the Edenred platform), Microsoft Home Use programme and gym membership
- a variety of staff recognition schemes including thank you vouchers
- health and wellbeing initiatives including monthly mindfulness sessions
- staff support networks
- maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks of statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
- maternity and adoption support leave (paternity leave) of 2 weeks full pay
- up to 5 days paid leave for volunteering
- study leave and support for studying for a qualification or other accredited development relevant to your role