At QinetiQ, we encourage our people to think and do things differently. As one of the largest and most respected science and technology organisations in Europe, we are constantly breaking new ground in the application of cutting-edge technology in our core markets of defence and security. The Maritime Group is part of the Managed Services Group and has nearly 500 employees, based on 16 sites across the UK. We have a great team and excellent opportunities to develop both our business and our employees, and our vision is to be the partner of choice in the assurance, design, test, evaluation and integration of maritime platforms and systems for our UK and international clients.
Job description/Person specification
We have a requirement for a Communications Engineer to undertake design, development, system integration, test and acceptance activities to support Maritime communication systems. As a senior member of the team, you will be responsible for successfully applying current knowledge to the development of legacy and current military-specific communications technologies in support of planned and future military communication installations to the MOD, including VLF, Bowman, Falcon, Skynet5/6. General responsibilities will include:
- Supporting to develop communication architecture solutions across the frequency spectrum
- Installation and integration of equipment in a range of military and commercial platforms
- Undertaking test and evaluation of equipment and solutions in a lab environment
- Producing technical documentation in support of work carried out
- Design, development, setting to work and trials operation of communication systems across the communications spectrum (Including Line of Sight, Beyond Line of Sight and Mobile Technologies)
- Engaging with relevant customers and stakeholders undertaking design and test activities to ensure requirements are met.
The successful candidate will either be degree qualified (Engineering / Communications) or be able to demonstrate relevant work experience. You will have experience working with a variety of communication systems, able to demonstrate where you have effectively contributed to the design & development of systems.
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, you will join an experienced and dynamic group of individuals that work on exciting and challenging projects. This role will allow you to demonstrate your innovative thinking in the projects you manage, whilst supporting you in your own professional development for the future. Your experience will enable you to lead tasks and manage the output of more junior engineers.