Graduate Structural Engineer - Buildings
Location: Cardiff, Edinburgh, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
If you're offered the post, you will join an exciting, friendly team who design structural, mechanical, electrical and public health systems for buildings in the UK and across the world. You will work with some of the best experts in the field.
Arup has a reputation for engineering excellence built on some of the most important structures of the last 70 years. It has maintained this reputation by attracting, training and developing the most promising and perceptive structural engineering graduates. Those people are now designing some of the most important structures of the next 70 years. They form a network of engineers that is connected across the world, sharing projects and resources, delivering global expertise with local knowledge.
Our projects range in scale from the inception of major infrastructure down to small alterations to someone's home. Some are pure art; others exist only to be functional. They are all rooted in our core desire to shape a better world and to do work that is interesting and rewarding.
One of our teams is helping finish Gaudi's astonishing church of La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, another is fixing significant problems that threaten a hospital. One team is reimagining the use of an existing commercial building, another is designing the stations for a new railway line.
Each of our UK offices is connected to the global Arup, linking up with teams designing projects across the world. At the same time, they are rooted in the community and the work of the local industry. They provide a work community that is inclusive, and supportive of you as a person, but technically challenging and rigorous. They will care about your learning and progress and will help you to grow as an engineer and a team member. They will help and mentor you towards professional qualification, to develop your skills and build your career.
The role includes:
- Analysis: Carrying out structural calculations, analysis and modelling.
- Design: Finding structural engineering solutions. Choosing structures and details that are economical and practical, that minimise embodied carbon and achieve the project sustainable development goals.
- Communication: through drawings, sketches, digital modelling, calculation documents, building information modelling, meetings, explanations, presentations, discussions, persuasions, emails, written reports, chats and electronic messages.
- Working with teams: cooperating, helping others, taking instructions, giving instructions, solving problems together, thinking beyond the conventional, helping to find new and effective ways to succeed. Treating others with respect, kindness and empathy.
- Learning: the practice of structural engineering, codes of practice, software, materials and construction techniques as well as all the other disciplines and people that are needed to design and deliver a project successfully.
- Planning your work: Agreeing deadlines and working together effectively with the rest of the team.
- Taking responsibility: for the quality and timely delivery of your work, for your own learning and professional development, and for your impact on other people.
- Finding new ways: of working. Finding solutions that are better, faster and cheaper. Learning international best practice in structural engineering design and delivery. Inventing and developing new ideas and new ways of working. Applying scripting and automation and developing bespoke software and spreadsheets.
- Investing time in people: developing relationships with your project team and your peers and everyone in the office. Contributing to the life of the team. Building an effective network outside and inside Arup.
- Working with and living the Arup values: as set out in Ove Arup's Key Speech.
- Working with Arup systems: for quality assurance, format of deliverables, software and so on.
- Minimising negative environmental and safety impacts in your design: pressing clients and collaborators to minimise the carbon impact and to choose designs that minimise risk to the safety of those who construct and live or work in the buildings that we design.
- Master's degree in civil, Structural, General or Architectural Engineering, or Engineering Science, at 2.1 or above
- Studying, or have studied, an ICE or IStructE accredited course
- A passion for structural engineering
- Evidence of an ability to fulfil the role as described above
- The ability to start in September 2021
- Work experience is advantageous, but not essential
Reward and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm's financial performance.
Does this role sound of interest to you?
- Assessment centres will take place from December 2020, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible.
- We open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate. Please let us know what you would need.
Please note that we are unable to offer Skilled Worker Visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you'll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. As a firm with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
Job Type: Full-time
- Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19