We have a number of exciting Apprentice Civil Engineer opportunities across the UK for start throughout 2022
As an Apprentice Civil Engineer you will learn the key elements of work on a project, taking a important role in technical delivery as well as managing aspects of time, cost and quality and will acquire technical, leadership and project management skills and experience.
About the projects
Current key locations for these roles are:
London, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Manchester, Maidenhead, and Cornwall
- On application for this role, please ensure that you identify which areas of the country and county(s) you are applying for.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assisting with operational quality control including setting out and QA processes
- Planning and sequencing of operations, including writing method statements and risk assessments, and procuring sub-contractor, labour, plant and material resources
- Assist with developing construction methods
- Assist with the preparation of briefings
- Site reporting and monitoring of site progress
- Site inspections and surveys
- Assist with monitoring and ensuring the works are carried out safely and to design requirements
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to safety
- Contribute to safety initiatives
- Promote and maintain a positive safety culture on the project
What does joining an apprenticeship at Costain offer you?
There are a wide range of apprenticeships available both in levels of qualification, and in length of study.
At Costain we have a variety of apprenticeships on offer working on projects around the UK in sectors including nuclear, highways, rail, water, airports and tunnels and with a number of partners and joint ventures.
The level, and training provider for your apprenticeship will depend on the skills you present at interview. The Early Careers Team will register you with a suitable training provider who can support the delivery of your qualification. Being an apprentice means you will work both on-the-job with your project at site, and off-the-job at with the provider.
When taking on one of the many apprenticeships offered by Costain you will be supported by your project line manager and team, The Costain Early Careers Team, and the training provider of your academic qualification. The training provider may be a college, a university or even an independent training provider
You will be supported throughout your apprenticeship by your local team and line manager, and you will be given time to carry out your studies with the provider etc. Your on-the-job training will be in line with the work available on site but will afford the opportunity to ensure that you are given on site experience required to meet the technical and competency levels in order to achieve your apprenticeship goals
- A passionate individual looking to undertake an apprenticeship with an award-winning employer
- Equivalent of 5 GCSEs, grades A*-C or 9-4 including Science and English, ideally with a Grade B or above in Maths
- An organised individual that can work well to deadlines
- Someone who is creative with a keen interest in the latest technology
- Someone that enjoys challenges and problem solving in their day to day work
- Communicating clearly, both written and verbally
- Problem solving
- Getting it right the first time, with good attention to detail
- Works well within a team, but equally on your own
- Building and maintaining positive working relationships
- Using a computer and Microsoft software
- Please note that if you are invited to interview, we will require you to produce your passport and/or right to work documentation
As some of our project sites are based in remote locations, it is worth noting that you will be required to have the ability to travel to the site.
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome all applicants regardless of age, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, socioeconomic background and physical or neurological disabilities.
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working. Such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. In return, we will explore what is possible.
To find out more about our Inclusion strategy, please visit our ED&I page:
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK.
For some of our roles, you may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend at you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.
A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to For more details please go to the Disability Confident website: