- To align system and platform acoustic and electromagnetic requirements with our machine design team.
- To support Business Development teams with customer facing technical discussions.
- To technically drive the development and standardisation of our current and next generation specialist rotating machine designs to align with platform and system requirements.
- Produce and review specifications for rotating equipment with full cognisance of power system integration challenges and compromises, specifically in the area of signatures, EMC and platform integration in conjunction with the associated Machine Power Electronics.
- Specification, Development, ownership and operation of the tools/models required to undertake the validation of the above.
- Act as a focal point for providing electro-magnetic engineering expertise within the systems business.
- Support Business development by presenting the technical capability of the company and the technical case for solutions offered in this area.
- Advance rotating machine engineering technical knowledge (both general and domain specific) within the domain specific sub-verticals and across the Systems Engineering team.
- Support the Business Verticals in creating and reviewing (in conjunction with the leadership team) rotating machine solutions as part of the ITO/OTR process, ensuring that solutions are technically fit for purpose and that technical risk is understood and managed with contingencies identified and costed.
- Undertake and provide support to technical design studies, FMEA and RCA.
- Review solutions developed by project teams and identify opportunities for improvement of process, system, or equipment, to prevent errors.
- Identify, propose and undertake improvements in standards, processes, tools, system solutions and technologies, rolling out improvements when agreed with leadership team.
- Support the leadership team in the development of technology road maps in response to future business opportunities and strategy, whilst providing direction and a domain application viewpoint to the Platform Engineering and Technology Engineering teams.
- Liaise with other GE businesses, sub-contractors and suppliers as appropriate in order to support projects and the business.
- Provide technical advice and assistance to the overall project team as appropriate including support of factory acceptance testing, Commissioning and Service.
- Develop and contribute to the technical element of the on-boarding for new starters and technical continuous professional development of the existing Engineering team.
- Develop and present technical papers to the wider technical community.
- Comply with all company and customer health and safety regulations.
- Degree or equivalent in electrical/power electronic engineering or related subject.
- Higher degree in electrical engineering or related subject.
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent proven record of continuous professional development
- Electrical engineering in the large (>1MW) Rotating Machine industry with industrial and Marine experience of DC, Induction, Synchronous and Permanent Magnet solutions.
- A minimum of ten years experience in engineering design, application and testing, with experience in the following areas: Electrical Machine Design – Electrical, Electromagnetic, Noise, EMC / Current Rotating Machine standards – IEC, DEF STAN, ATEX, ISO / Current Marine Standards – e.g. Lloyds, DNV, ABS etc. / LV and MV synchronous generators and their associated control systems (AVRs, speed governors etc.) / Variable speed drive control systems, switching strategies and associated automation.
- The ability to perform studies such as: Noise (electrical / acoustic) modelling / Total Harmonic Distortion / EMC Modelling / MV & LV power system cabling (cable selection, rating etc.) / Dynamic & Transient Stability Modelling & Simulation of the above.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good report writing skills.
- Good personal organisational skills.
- Willing to travel within base country and overseas for short term working.
- Extant Security Check (SC) clearance or the ability to obtain SC is required for this role.
- Knowledge of marine electrical power and propulsion systems.
- Experience of system integration working on multi-discipline projects
- Capable of leading a multi-disciplined international team.
- Ability to multi-task on a variety of projects to strict time scales.
GE is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you!