Civil Engineer –Rail – Belfast ( Job Number:
AUK012TV ) Primary Location : GB-GB-Belfast
Description Civil Engineer –Rail – Belfast
We are seeking career minded Civil Engineers to support the expanding rail design team in Belfast working on a variety of on-going design projects within railway and other sectors. The role will offer the opportunity to progress your career as your experience grows.
At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what’s most important. Because look beyond our projects and programmes and you’ll see it’s about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring people together, to making cities easier to navigate, we’re focused on making an impact where it matters most – and improving quality of life.
It’s a big challenge. And why we need people committed to bringing their best, who deliver on their promises. People who value different perspectives, build sustainable relationships and dare to shape the future. People who seize the experiences available to transform their world – and the world around them.
It’s a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians. And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills and expertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. It’s how we’ll find solutions to our clients’ most complex challenges. And how we’ll deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow.
The railway sector is one of our core markets, a position it has held throughout our history. We pride ourselves on delivering new and exciting resolutions for rail infrastructure design and construction schemes.
Our Civil Design Team continues to add to their impressive list of project awards and recent successes have seen them secure some of the UK’s most high profile, complex and stimulating projects to complement their existing portfolio of works.
We have an enviable reputation in the delivery of some of the UK’s most prestigious and challenging schemes and we are currently working on behalf of Network Rail, Rail Operating Companies and Contractors throughout the UK on Grip 2 to 8 stages of major infrastructure projects and frameworks, designing and engineering complex technical solutions to meet / exceed our client’s needs. Our clients include HS2 civils works, Translink (Northern Ireland Railways) and the Track and Rail North Alliance (Scotland route).
To be considered, we are seeking candidates with the following credentials:
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in civil engineering
- Student/Graduate membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) or Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- You will have gained civil / structural design experience within the rail sector and in a consultancy environment
- Working toward Chartered Engineer status with ICE or IStructE
- Experience preparing design deliverables using civil engineering design software packages
- You will be an Innovative thinker, a team player, proactive and delivery focused
- An aptitude for Building Information Modelling and the workflow associated with projects delivered in a Common Data Environment
- You will possess the enthusiasm to tackle stretch tasks
- You will be flexible to travel throughout the UK
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven planning and organisation skills
- Good IT skills including Microsoft Office applications
Reporting to the Team Leader / Associate Director within the Civil Design Team, you will provide technical support into assigned projects under professional supervision for the successful delivery of technically challenging designs. As we operate in such a diverse marketplace, we can safely say that you will gain an experience of working on a wide and varied portfolio of projects which will enhance your skills and test your design and technical knowledge.
You will work in collaboration with other design disciplines in Common Data Environments and acquire the knowledge and practical skills through on-the-job learning to attain Chartered Engineer status and develop industry knowledge though affiliations and continuing education.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Developing skills and knowledge base in both the technical and management streams
- Assisting with the preparation of documentation relating to projects
- Designing in 3D modelling environments such as AECOSim, Revit and Civil 3D
- Preparing design calculations, drawings, specifications, reports and other project documentation as required in line with company and client requirements as well as national standards and codes of practice
- Participating in the resolution of technical issues
- Attending site to complete surveys in a rail environment
- Gaining experience and proficiency in Arcadis systems and procedures
- Becoming familiar with, and compliant with, relevant Health, Safety and Welfare regulations and to promote a culture of awareness within the team
- Building relationships with Clients on projects
- Managing work undertaken by contractors
- Attending project progress meetings, risk reduction meetings and technical meetings
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as required from time to time by your manager or Arcadis
At Arcadis, you’ll have the opportunity to build the career that’s right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a ‘people ﬁrst’ business, it’s why we’ll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions. Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme. Other beneﬁts include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, ﬂexible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.
. Job :
Design & Engineering