Applications are invited for a Data Engineer position located in the Mathematical Sciences Research Centre (MSRC) of the School of Mathematics and Physics.
The Statistical Data Analytics group is a made up of a vibrant, highly productive research team within MSRC currently comprising 5 academic staff, 2 postdoctoral researchers and 5 PhD students. Group members use data extensively in their research and teaching.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on major research projects collaborating with industry and other academic partners across the globe. Their work will involve the architecting, development, testing and maintenance of various data pipelines and large-scale stream processing systems, as well as installing specialised software requirements for the MSc in Data Analytics course.
Applicants must ideally have a Masters level qualification in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline and have at least 3 years of relevant experience. They will be required to have experience of using and setting up cloud based infrastructure in platforms such as AWS, Azure or GCP and have an advanced SQL and relational database modelling knowledge. They will have a good understanding of Data Science lifecycle processes and be competent, experienced and independent in supporting the research in Data Analytics and AI by building bespoke platforms from scratch that are at the cutting edge of this research.Queen's University Belfast is a driver of innovation based on our talented, multinational workforce. Throughout the University, our academics are collaborating across disciplines to develop new discoveries and insights, working with outside agencies and institutions on projects of international significance. We are connected and networked with strategic partnerships across the world, helping us to expand our impact on wider society locally, nationally and globally. The University is committed to attracting, retaining and developing the best global talent within an environment that enables them to realise their full potential.
The School has a commitment of becoming an academic home to researchers with a highly diverse cultural and professional background. It takes pride in its equal opportunity provision and in its work towards gender equality. This is demonstrated by the fact that Mathematics at Queen's was the first in the discipline to be granted a silver Athena SWAN award. We very much look forward to continuing to expand our reputation of an internationally leading academic discipline in a dynamic and vibrant research environment. We are ranked 1st in the UK for knowledge transfer partnerships, (Innovate UK) 9th in the UK for University facilities (Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2018) and 14th in the UK for research quality (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019).
Based in Belfast, a modern capital city, our beautiful campus is surrounded by abundant acres of parkland and is renowned as one of the safest and affordable cities in the UK. The choice of local Schools from pre-nursery upwards are some of the best available, and lovers of the outdoors can enjoy any number of activities from rowing and kayaking to top class golf among many others. We are immensely proud of what our city and our University will offer you.
The successful candidate must have:
- 2:1 Honours Degree, or equivalent, in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline.
- At least 3 years relevant experience (e.g. as a Data Technician or in a closely related role)
- Experience of using and setting up cloud based infrastructure in platforms such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience designing and working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of database engines.
- Experience building and optimizing 'big data' pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Demonstrable experience of successfully manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Experience developing RESTful APIs using frameworks such as Flask, Django Rest Framework, Spring Boot, Plumbr or similar.
- Demonstrate experience working with Python and/or R and/or any of JVM (Java, Kotlin, Groovy, Scala) programming languages.