As a member of the Division’s Executive Management Team (EMT), the Director of Test Operations will be responsible for the division’s testing activities, which consists of a number of cells covering EMC, Environmental, Telecoms, Safety and Retail testing, as well a large group of Senior Engineers, who provide technical support to these test cells.
This role requires an individual with extensive engineering experience, gained either in a production or a project-based environment, and capable of achieving industry-leading levels of operational excellence. The successful candidate, who will excel at meeting production targets, driving up productivity and consistently meeting customer deadlines, will also need the ability to interact regularly with customers and have the strategic insights to develop robust 3-5 year business plans and produce accurate sales forecasts, in conjunction with the organization’s commercial department.
- Provide leadership to the Operational Managers and Senior Engineers to ensure the appropriate resourcing – both engineers and facility assets – that help maximise profits from those net sales.
- To support Line Managers in developing high performing teams and dealing with welfare and performance issues.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Innovations and Site & Facilities teams to optimise processes and site space, including new locations or development of new services.
- Work with the operational management team to maximise productivity and deliver the monthly net sales commitments for the total UK lab operations.
- Support the Production Control team with ensure financial and accreditation activities are accurate and current.
- As a member of the UK division’s Executive management team, be a key contributor to the development and implementation of a 3 to 5-year strategic plan for the business and lead by example in support of the cultural environment the organisation wants.
- Develop and execute robust production and productivity improvement plans, applying LEAN principles whenever possible.
- Ensure detailed annual production and monthly forecasts planning occurs to a defined level of consistency and timeliness to ensure the financial plans are met throughout the year.
- Liaise regularly with the global TÜV SÜD Product Service division to ensure that the UK business plans are in line with global programmes.
Essential requirements – the suitable candidate will be/have:
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in an engineering discipline.
- Experience in, and a good understanding of, the Test, Inspection and Certification industry.
- A strong leader and motivator, experienced in managing and developing large multifunctional, high performing, technical teams and optimising team and individual strengths.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Customer focused, with experience of change management, adapting and enabling flexibility to meet business or customer needs.
- Extensive engineering experience either in a production or project environment.
- Track record of facilitating and overseeing the deliver of accurate production forecasts or project plans consistently to strict targets.
- Devotee of LEAN and 6 Sigma concepts and their application.
- Excellent analytical, numeracy, literacy and IT skills.