AECOM is seeking an experienced Highways Engineer to join our expanding strategic highways team in Chesterfield to work on some challenging major projects, including several with Highways England. We are looking for individuals with demonstrable highways experience and a sound technical background that share our enthusiasm and determination to develop our business.
Chesterfield, the gateway to the Peak District, is famous for its crooked spire, its 800 year old market and its proximity to Chatsworth House. It’s a great place to live and work.
The services that we offer to clients include the full range and scope of highways work from inception to completion across all the key discipline areas. We work on schemes from feasibility stage through the development phase and planning and DCO process, preliminary design, detailed design and site supervision. We have considerable experience of working with contractors on Design and Build schemes as well as working directly for clients, from both the private and public sector.
Job responsibilities include:
- Completion of tasks with minimal supervision, in accordance with agreed quality, budget and schedule, solving problems encountered and identifying discrepancies in results
- Provision of technical inputs, across a range of highway specialisms
- Demonstrate technical competence, working in collaboration to share knowledge of computer based applications, including software such as MX, WinDES, Microsoft Office and MS Project
- Undertaking project activities including technical and commercial aspects
- Provision of guidance to entry level engineers
- Contribute to technical excellence and innovation including personal, professional development
- Plan, lead and undertake site visits
- Plan and attend meetings – internal and external
- Liaison with sub-consultants and external parties
- Participate as a team member on a number of levels, including; office disciplines and projects.
- Be proactive and contribute to a safer work environment
AECOM is one of the world’s leading consultancies. To be the best in the industry, we hire the best. Year after year our company is expanding in more ways than one, which means possibilities for you to thrive and grow. At AECOM we want to support you and your career development with the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge, and challenge you to reach your potential. We value your commitment to us and work hard to ensure you achieve your career goals. Opportunities aren’t limited to a wide spectrum of projects, and to travel in and out of the UK.
Staff morale is important to us, so as well as providing you with the opportunity to work on some iconic projects and supporting your career, we also think that the day to day stuff is important too.
Our state of the art offices are open plan for that real team feel. They are filled with all the tools and equipment to assist you to do your job to the best of your ability. We have onsite free hot drink facilities on each floor as well as weekly fresh fruit boxes delivered to each floor. Each of our offices has a social team to encourage a good work /life balance with your co-workers.
Life is different for each of us. But here at AECOM we believe your work / life balance is important. We are support equal opportunities and therefore offer flexible working within our roles.
For this role, we are seeking experienced Highways Engineers with the following attributes:
- Degree in Civil Engineering
- Post-graduation experience in highway design
- A demonstrable understanding of Health and Safety including CDM
- A comprehensive knowledge of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges
- Willing to undertake occasional periods of secondment to construction sites
You will have proven experience of working collaboratively as part of a team developing a range of major highway and infrastructure projects.
- Working towards Incorporated/Chartered Engineer status of respective professional institution
- A full clean driving licence
- Experience of MX / 3d Civils / OpenRoads / WinDes would be an advantage
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.