This role sits within a wider Enterprise Cloud Services (ECS) team that is transforming and expanding to enhance its HMRC Cloud Centre of Excellence offering. It is a diverse team of around 80+ individuals, creating a dynamic and inclusive working environment. Covering Cloud Service Design, Development, Operation and Governance.
The Test Engineer is responsible for ensuring that ECS products are developed to meet their functional and non-functional requirements without defect before they packaged for consumption from the ECS service catalogue.
- Testing Cloud Infrastructure developed in AWS and Azure
- Analyse user stories, use cases, and requirements for validity and feasibility
- Execute all levels of testing (Component, System, Integration etc)
- Design and develop test cases, plans and automation scripts
- Detect and track software defects and inconsistencies
- Demonstrate and apply good practices throughout testing activities
- Provide support to other team members
- Have an active input into the technical documentation/ operation guide
- Work closely with developers/engineers to reach a common understanding of the code base and test coverage at unit level
As the ideal candidate, you will have experience working with Cloud environments, particularly able to design and execute test cases using standard testing techniques.
You will be able to build skills across a breadth of knowledge as part of your personal development in order to match the industry’s own evolution.
You will have knowledge of working in an enterprise environment developing cloud services within a regulated setting.
You are able to run and manage appropriate tests to ensure that requirements have been fully met and be able to communicate defects or trends clearly to Software Developers, outlining how defects are identified and the possible causes.
You will have knowledge, experience and understanding of
- Experience of infrastructure testing and cloud technologies in particular
- Ability to author and maintain test automation scripts
- An excellent awareness of software testing in the development lifecycle, particularly in Agile practices
- Working with IT risk and security architecture/consultants to drive cloud native technologies that meet requirements
- Demonstrable ability to independently investigate, research and resolve issues
- ISTQB Certified
- Experience of working in Agile/Scrum environment
- Programming skills with Selenium WebDriver/Terratest/ InSpec/ Go etc
- Understanding or some exposure to automation frameworks
- Experience with Linux and Windows
- Experience with version control e.g. Git / GitLab
- Experience in reporting issues and risks associated with testing and communicating those risks and issues to testing lead and partners
- Risk based testing
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
If you are applying for a role in an office within a regional center location or a transitional or specialist site, then the following may apply: Daily Travel Assistance will be available for this role, provided the successful applicant is a current HMRC employee and meets the eligibility requirements outlined in the department’s Daily Travel Assistance guidance.
Please also find attached 'Your little extras booklet' for further information.