Who We Are
James Fisher and Sons Plc is a leading provider of innovative marine solutions and specialised engineering services worldwide in: oil and gas, nuclear, construction, defence, renewable energy and more.
JFD, part of James Fisher & Sons Plc, is now the world leading underwater capability provider, serving the commercial and defence markets with innovative diving, submarine and hyperbaric rescue, technical solutions and services.
The company is at the forefront of Hyperbaric Rescue, along with being the leading supplier of commercial and defence diving equipment and saturation diving systems to the commercial industry. Our diverse range of products meet the challenges of the various diving industries in which our clients operate and we are the largest manufacturer and supplier of professional diving equipment worldwide.
JFD are looking for an experienced Electrical Design Engineer to join their team in Glasgow on a Perm basis to support various project completions.
The purpose of the Electrical Design Engineer is to provide electrical engineering solutions and through life engineering support to a range of JFD Submarine Rescue projects and services around the world.
Workload can vary from new project/product designs to meet client or internal specifications, to supporting an existing client’s request to upgrade or change equipment in the field or resolving time-critical technical issues from operational systems in support of JFD’s commitment.
- Produce and review panel schematics and fabrication drawings for DC HV/LV systems.
- Design of switchgear electrical AC/DC power system for submersibles & SAT systems, composed of electrical disconnect switches, fuses or circuit breakers used to control, protect and isolate electrical equipment.
- Specification & selection of internal/external cables, penetrators and connectors.
- Specification, selection and review of different battery & BMS technologies to meet the requirements of manned and unmanned submersibles.
- Ensure compliance with relevant design codes, legislative, class and flag requirements where applicable (Lloyds & DNV).
- Liaise with draughting team and production teams to give electrical engineering guidance at all stages of the product lifecycle
- Sourcing of materials, components and services as directed in-line with engineering projects
- Assist in the assembly and testing of prototype equipment prior to releasing for final engineering work.
Who We Are looking for
- Methodical and thorough whilst generating and checking documentation
- Ability to adapt to changing scope or client demands
- Willingness to take ownership and accountability of tasks and drive to completion
- Focused on delivering to tight deadlines and changing requirements
- Flexible for travel to local or overseas sites if required
- Degree qualified in an Electrical or Electro-Mechanical Engineering discipline.
- Experience in an appropriate engineering field.
- Sound knowledge of general engineering principles and strong electrical engineering skills
- Skilled in generating design calculations
- Fully familiar with Microsoft Office suite
- Competent in the use of engineering design software tools / CAD packages
- Familiar with Autodesk AutoCAD electrical and international Quality & Safety standards (e.g. ISO 9001)
- Subsea/offshore/defence/oil & gas background
- Experience with PLM system for storage and control of engineering documentation
Contract Type - Permanent
Location - Glasgow
James Fisher & Sons are committed to taking positive action on diversity and we strongly encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds and as a Disability Confident employer we are committed to offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
Job Type: Permanent
Work Location: Multiple Locations